Friday, June 12, 2009

My dog Harley is Sick

Hey yall, sorry I haven't updated in a couple of days.

On Monday Harley started having some kind of cough. On Wednesday at 2:30 AM Harley collapsed and had a seizure after climbing the stairs.

We took him to the vet and they said it was his heart. They referred us to a cardiologist for dogs at an expensive medical center.

They did an ultrasound of the heart, x-rays, as well as blood work. It turns out that Harley has the following problems.

Dilated cardiomyopathy (heart disease)
Arrythmia (heart murmur which caused the seizure)
some Lung Disease (possibly caused by his past from the heartworms he had 2 years ago)
Coughing (most likely kennel cough)
Shortness of breath

All they could do was give us several kinds of medicines, including an expensive one that we had to buy online from Canada. Basically, if Harley has a seizure, it could often times be fatal, so we can't exercise him too much like throwing around the ball, but they said we can take him for short walks.

I am very afraid what might happen. I know Harley is 9 1/2 years old, and that is the average lifetime for a dog of his breed and size. But, I think Harley still has a few more years to go, which is why I decided I needed to save him again. Harley is my best friend and I don't know what I'm going to do when I lose him, I just hope that isn't for a long long long time.

Please, if you can find it in your hearts to pray for him to be well, I would really truely appreciate it.

Thanks,

Scott

No comments: